- Shop Online
- Join and Give
About This Artwork
Prancing Horse, 1808/12
Oil on canvas
10 3/8 x 15 1/2 in. (26.4 x 39.5 cm)
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Larned Coburn Memorial Collection, 1944.687
European Painting and Sculpture
Not on Display
Paris, Galerie Charpentier, "Exposition Centenaire de Géricault," 1924, no. 9.
Paris, Bernheim-Jeune, "Exposition Géricault, Peintre et Dessinateur," May 1937, no. 10.
Santa Barbara, Calif., Museum of Art, "The Horse in Art, Paintings 17th–20th Century," July–August 1954; traveled to San Francisco, California Legion of Honor, August–September 1954, Kansas City, Mo., Nelson Gallery, October–November 1954, no. 22.
Léon Rosenthal, "La place de Géricault dans la peinture française," review of Galerie Charpentier exhibition, La Revue de l’Art (June 1924), p. 56.
"Accessions at the Chicago Art Institute," Connoisseur 119, no. 503 (1947), pp. 41–42 (ill.)
Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection (Chicago, 1961), p. 173.
Jacques Thuillier and Philippe Grunchec, L’opera completa di Géricault (Milan, 1978), p. 130, no. A14 [see also 1991 French edition, p. 131, no. A14 (ill.)].
Lorenz Eitner, "The Literature of Art," review of Thuillier and Grunchec 1978, Burlington Magazine 122 (1980), p. 209.
Germain Bazin, Théodore Géricault: étude critique, documents et catalogue raisonné, vol. 3 (Paris, 1989), pp. 27, 137, no. 685 (ill.).
Possibly Eugène Delacroix, Paris [according to Paris 1924 exh. cat. and Paris 1937 exh. cat.]. Probably M. Foynard, Paris [according to letter from Richard Goetz, December 14, 1937, in curatorial file for Champmartin, 1937.502, asserting that he acquired all the Géricaults he purchased in this period from Monsieur Foynard before World War I]; Richard Goetz, Paris, by 1922; sold with his sequestered property Hotel Drouot, Paris, February 23, 1922, no. 150. Édouard Napoléon César Edmond Mortier, duc de Trévise (died 1946), Paris, by 1924 until at least 1937 [see Paris 1924 exh. cat. and Paris 1937 exh. cat.]; sold by him, probably with Robert Lebel as agent, to Richard Goetz, New York [see letter from Eric Turquin, February 7, 2002, in curatorial file]. J. B. Neumann, New York by 1944; sold to the Art Institute, 1944.