- Shop Online
- Join and Give
About This Artwork
Plaque with the Crucifixion, 1200/10
Gilt copper, champlevé enamel
18.1 x 16.5 cm (7 1/8 x 6 1/2 in.)
Kate S. Buckingham Edowment, 1943.79
This plaque was probably once part of a casket or tabernacle. It was produced by the specialized workshops for enamel objects in Limoges, France. Here Christ on the cross is flanked by the Virgin Mary and Saint John the Evangelist. The Christ’s central importance is signaled by his larger size and by the fact that his is the only figure fully modeled in the round rather than engraved into the copper support. The imagery on tabernacles that survive intact (notably in the Musée du Louvre, Paris, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York) suggests that plaque would have originally been surmounted by another depicting the Ascension of Christ into heaven.
— Permanent collection label
Art Institute of Chicago, Medieval Decorative Arts from Chicago Collection, October 2, 1985-January 5, 1986.
Emaux Meridionaux Catalogue internationale de l'Oeuvre de Limoges, vol. 2 (Paris, 2009).
Brimo de Laroussihle, Paris, date unknown [see de Laroussilhe 1995, no. 105]. Harry Fuld (b. 1879 - d. 1932), Frankfurt; by descent to his widow, Lucie Mayer-Fuld (d. 1966), Frankfurt, Berlin, and New York, 1932-1942 [according to incoming shipping receipt in curatorial file]; on loan to museum starting October 17, 1942 [according to incoming receipt in Registrar's file]; sold through Raphael Stora, New York, to the Art Insitute in 1942 [according to incoming shipping receipt, mentioned above].