About This Artwork

Niccolò di Pietro Gerini
Italian, fl. 1368-1415

Virgin and Child, 1390-1400

Tempera on panel transferred to canvas
78.7 x 46.5 cm (31 3/8 x 18 5/16 in.)
AVE MARIA GRACIA PLENA DOMINVS TE (along base of frame)

Mr. and Mrs. Martin A. Ryerson Collection, 1937.1003

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

The University of Chicago, The Renaissance Society, Old and New Masters of Religious Art, April 7–20, 1931, no. 76.

The University of Chicago, The Renaissance Society, Commemorative Exhibition from the Martin A. Ryerson Collection, October 9–30, 1932, no. 2.

The Art Institute of Chicago, Exhibition of the Ryerson Gift, 1938 (no cat.).

Chicago, Englewood High School, 1946 (no cat.).

Chicago, C. D. Peacock Co., 1952 (no cat.).

Publication History

Richard Offner, “Niccolò di Pietro Gerini,” Art in America 9 (1921), pp. 148, 153–55, fig. 1.

Raimond van Marle, The Development of the Italian Schools of Painting, vol. 3 (The Hague, 1924), p. 614.

Richard Offner, Studies in Florentine Painting: The Fourteenth Century (New York, 1927), pp. 83, 85–87, 92, fig. 5.

Bernard Berenson, Italian Pictures of the Renaissance (Oxford, 1932), p. 394.

Bernard Berenson, Pitture italiane del Rinascimento (Milan, 1936), p. 339.

William R. Valentiner, Paintings in the Collection of Martin A. Ryerson, (unpub. MS, 1932, Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago), n. p.

“Exhibition of the Ryerson Gift,” Bulletin of The Art Institute of Chicago 22 (1938), p. 3.

Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection (Chicago, 1961), p. 174.

Hans Huth, “Italienische Kunstwerke im Art Institute von Chicago, USA,” in Miscellanea Bibliothecae Hertzianae (Munich, 1961), p. 516.

Bernard Berenson, Italian Pictures of the Renaissance: Florentine School, vol. 1 (London, 1963), p. 158

Burton B. Fredericksen and Federico Zeri, Census of Pre-Nineteenth-Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections (Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1972), pp. 81, 312, 571.

Miklòs Boskovits, Pittura fiorentina alla vigilia del Rinascimento, 1370–1400 (Florence, 1975), p. 404.

Richard Offner, A Critical and Historical Corpus of Florentine Painting: A Legacy of Attributions, ed. by Hayden B. J. Maginnis, Supplement (New York, 1981), p. 72.

Christopher Lloyd, Italian Paintings before 1600 in the Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1993), pp. 98–100, ill.

David Berry and Christina Nielsen, “Appendix A: Prominent Dealers of Medieval Art, 1900–1950,” in To Inspire and Instruct: A History of Medieval Art in Midwestern Museums, Christina Nielsen, ed. (Newcastle upon Tyne, 2008), p. 171.

Ownership History

James Kerr-Lawson, Florence, by 1910 [according to invoice from Kerr-Lawson to Ryerson dated June 14, 1910, in curatorial file]; sold to Martin A. Ryerson (died 1932), Chicago, 1910; at his death to his widow (died 1937); bequeathed to the Art Institute, 1937.




View mobile website