- Shop Online
- Join and Give
About This Artwork
Two Putti, 1490/1510
Tempera or oil on panel
46.3 x 37.5 cm (18 1/4 x 14 3/4 in.)
Painted surface: 45.6 x 36.3 cm (18 x 14 1/4 in.)
TVT [...] DIRI F (on quiver)
Mr. and Mrs. Martin A. Ryerson Collection, 1937.1001
Medieval to Modern European Painting and Sculpture
Not on Display
London, Royal Academy of Arts, Works by the Old Masters, and by Deceased Masters of the British School, 1886, no. 173, as Italian School.
Bernard Berenson, Italian Pictures of the Renaissance (Oxford, 1932), p. 70.
Bernard Berenson, Pitture italiane del Rinascimento (Milan, 1936), p. 60.
Bernard Berenson, Italian Pictures of the Renaissance: Venetian School, vol. 1 (London, 1957), p. 30.
William R. Valentiner, Paintings in the Collection of Martin A. Ryerson, unpub. MS , Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago, n. pag.
Kate Lancaster Brewster, “The Ryerson Gift to The Art Institute of Chicago,” Magazine of Art 31 (February 1938), p. 97.
René Brimo, Art et goût: L’Evolution du goût aux Etats-Unis d’après l’histoire des collections (Paris, 1938), p. 92.
Carlo Ludovico Ragghianti, “Studi sulla pittura lombarda del quattrocento,” Critica d’arte 3d ser., 8 (1949), p. 298 n. 29.
Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection (Chicago, 1961), p. 226.
Burton B. Fredericksen and Federico Zeri, Census of Pre-Nineteenth-Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections (Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1972), pp. 139, 503, 571.
Christopher Lloyd, Italian Paintings before 1600 in the Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1993), pp. 171–173, ill.
Carl Brandon Strehlke, review of Italian Paintings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago. A Catalogue of the Collection by Christopher Lloyd, Burlington Magazine 136 (September 1994), p. 626.
Major-General John Barton Sterling, London, by 1886 [Sterling listed as lender to the Royal Academy of Arts exhibition, London, 1886]; sold Sotheby’s, London, April 29, 1914, no. 106, as School of Botticelli. Sold by Steinmeyer & Fils, Paris, to Martin A. Ryerson (d. 1932), Chicago, 1914; at his death to his widow, Mrs. Martin A. Ryerson (d. 1937); bequeathed to the Art Institute, 1937.