- Shop Online
- Join and Give
About This Artwork
Yellow Hickory Leaves with Daisy, 1928
Oil on canvas
76.5 x 101.6 cm (29 7/8 x 39 7/8 in.)
Signed and dated verso: G. O'Keeffe / 10-10-28
Alfred Stieglitz Collection, gift of Georgia O'Keeffe, 1965.1180
In the 1920s, Georgia O’Keeffe began concentrating on representing enlarged still-life elements with carefully realistic handling. Although known more for her flower paintings, she frequently depicted leaves, inspired by the examples she found on her walks around Lake George in upstate New York, where she summered with her husband, Alfred Stieglitz, between 1918 and 1928. In Yellow Hickory Leaves with Daisy, O’Keeffe painted the leaves around the small white daisy at lower center so that they seem to be emanating from the flower. She hoped that the strangely magnified subjects would inspire viewers to, as she said, “be surprised into taking time to look at” them in a new way.
— Permanent collection label
Art Institute of Chicago, Georgia O’Keeffe, January 21-February 22, 1943, no. 44, cat. by Daniel Catton Rich, (ill. p. 33).
New York, Museum of Modern Art, Exhibition of Georgia O’Keeffe, May 14-August 25, 1946, no. 34.
Art Institute of Chicago, Junior Museum Corridor Exhibit, November 13-May 3, 1975
Daniel Catton Rich, “The Stieglitz Collection,” Bulletin of The Art Institute of Chicago, 18, (November 15, 1949), p. 70.
Annual Report of the Art Institute of Chicago, 1965-1966, p. 27.
Sandra Grung, Supplement to Paintings in The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 1971, p. 82.
Benita Eisler, O’Keeffe and Stieglitz: An American Romance, New York: Doubleday, 1991, p. 377
Barbara Buhler Lynes, Georgia O’Keefe: Catalogue Raisonné Volume One (New Haven and London: Yale University Press/ National Gallery of Art/the Georgia O’Keeffe Foundation, 1999), no. 642.
Judith A. Barter et al., "American Modernism at the Art Institute of Chicago, From World War I to 1955," (Art Institute of Chicago/Yale University Press, 2009), cat. 51.
Given by the artist to the Art Institute through the Alfred Stieglitz Collection, 1965.