About This Artwork

Jean Léon Gérôme
French, 1824-1904

Portrait of a Woman, 1851

Oil on canvas
92.6 x 73.7 cm (36 1/2 x 29 in.)
Inscribed at right: J. L. Gerome 1851

Restricted gift of Silvain and Arma Wyler Foundation, 1964.338

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Ohio, Dayton Art Institute, Jean-Leon Gérôme (1824-1904): Paintings and Drawings, November 10–December 31, 1972; traveled to Minneapolis, Institute of Arts, January 26–March 11, 1973; Baltimore, Walters Art Gallery, April 6–May 20, 1973, no. 2 (ill.).

Gifu, Japan, Museum of Fine Arts, Paris around 1882, November 3–December 19, 1982; traveled to Japan, Kamakura, January 20–February 20, 1983, no. 21 (ill.).

Publication History

Art Institute of Chicago Annual Report 1964–65 (Chicago, 1965), p. 29.

Robert Rosenblum, Ingres (New York, 1967), p. 35, fig. 42.

John Maxon, The Art Institute of Chicago (New York, 1970), pp. 264 (ill.), 281.

Edgar Munhall, Ingres and the Comtesse d’Haussonville (New York, 1985), pp. 120–21, fig. 104.

Gerald M. Ackerman, The Life and Work of Jean-Léon Gérôme: with a Catalogue Raisonné (London, 1986), pp. 190–91, no. 38 (ill.).

Stefan Germer, "Pictures at an Exhibition," Chicago History 16, no. 1 (1987), p. 4 (ill.).

Richard R. Brettell, French Salon Artists, 1800–1900 (Chicago and New York, 1987), pp. 28 (ill.), 29, 118.

Jack Perry Brown, "The Return of the Salon: Jean Léon Gérôme in the Art Institute," Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies 15, no. 2 (1989), p. 158, fig. 3.

Daniel J. Strong in John Wilmerding, ed., Thomas Eakins (1844–1916) and the Heart of American Life, exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, London, 1993, p. 61, fig. 4b, under no. 4.

Gerald M. Ackerman, Jean-Léon Gérôme: monographie révisée, catalogue raisonné mis à jour (Courbevoie, 2000), pp. 220–21, no. 38 (ill.).

Ownership History

Sold Hotel Drouot, Paris, by 1964 as anonymous, bought by Giancarlo Baroni, Paris [oral communication, Giancarlo Baroni and Jean Luc Baroni, March 15, 2003]; sold by Giancarlo Baroni to Hans Calmann, London by 1964 [according to Calmann's draft memoirs as reported by Jon Whitely, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, letter of February 20, 2003, in curatorial file]; sold to the Art Institute, 1964.




View mobile website