About This Artwork

North Netherlandish

Saint Augustine and an Augustinian Canoness, 1525/50

Oil on panel
65.3 x 22.7 cm (25 11/16 x 8 15/16 in.)
Original image: 64.3 x 22 cm (25 5/16 x 8 11/16 in.)

Mr. and Mrs. Martin A. Ryerson Collection, 1933.1041

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Publication History

The Art Institute of Chicago, General Catalogue of Paintings, Sculpture, and Other Objects in the Museum, 1913, p. 197, nos. 2086–87.

The Art Institute of Chicago, General Catalogue of Paintings, Sculpture, and Other Objects in the Museum, 1914, p. 208, nos. 2086–87.

The Art Institute of Chicago, Handbook of Sculpture, Architecture, Paintings, and Drawings, vol. 2, August 1920, p. 61.

The Art Institute of Chicago, Handbook of Sculpture, Architecture, and Paintings, May 1922, p. 71.

The Art Institute of Chicago, A Guide to the Paintings in the Permanent Collection, 1925, p. 159, nos. 2022–23.

Rose Mary Fischkin, “Martin A. Ryerson Collection of Paintings and Sculpture, XIII to XVII Century, Loaned to The Art Institute of Chicago,” unpub. MS, 1926, Ryerson Library, The Art Institute of Chicago, pp. 94–96.

The Art Institute of Chicago, A Guide to the Paintings in the Permanent Collection, 1932, p. 180, nos. R1201/21–22.

AIC 1961, p. 157. Walter S. Gibson, The Paintings of Cornelis Engebrechtsz, London and New York, 1977, p. 269, nos. 90–91.

Peter Sutton, A Guide to Dutch Art in America, Washington, D.C., and Grand Rapids, Mich., 1986, p. 49.

Martha Wolff in Martha Wolff et al., Northern European and Spanish Paintings before 1600 in the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 2008, pp. 284-7, ill.

Ownership History

Michele Manzi, Paris [according to receipt from the Cottier Gallery, Apr. 29, 1912; and a letter from Alfred Chatain to Walter Fearon of the Cottier Gallery, Mar. 28, 1910, both in Art Institute Archives]. Cottier Gallery, New York, by 1910; sold to Martin A. Ryerson (d. 1932), Chicago, Apr. 29, 1912 [receipt cited above]; on loan to the Art Institute from 1913; bequeathed to the Art Institute, 1933.




View mobile website