About This Artwork

Jean Louis Forain
French, 1852-1931

In the Wings, 1899

Oil on canvas
60.5 x 73.8 cm (23 3/16 x 29 1/16 in.)
Inscribed upper right: Forain 1899

Mr. and Mrs. Martin A. Ryerson Collection, 1933.1118

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

The Arts Club of Chicago, Paintings by Jean-Louis Forain and Sculptures by Emile Bourdelle, December 15, 1922–January 5, 1923, cat. 9.

Art Institute of Chicago, A Century of Progress: Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, June 1–November 1, 1933, cat. 263.

Art Institute of Chicago, A Century of Progress: Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, June 1–November 1, 1934, cat. 277.

New York, Jacques Seligmann & Co., The Stage: A Loan Exhibition for the Benefit of the Public Education Association, April 3–22, 1939, cat. 24.

New York, American Federation of the Arts, Exhibition of Nineteenth Century French Paintings, 1948–1949; traveled to Dayton, Ohio, Dayton Art Institute, June 1–28 1948; Springfield, Missouri, Springfield Art Museum, August 1948; Saginaw, Michigan, The Saginaw Museum, December 19, 1948–January 9, 1949, cat. 11.; Memphis, Tennessee, Brooks Memorial Art Gallery, March 1–22, 1949; Utica, New York, The Munson Williams Proctor Institute, April 1949.

New York, The Jewish Museum, The Dreyfus Affair: Art, Truth, Justice, September 13, 1987–January 15, 1988, cat. 443.

Memphis, Tennessee, The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Degas, Forain, Toulouse-Lautrec : Images of Dancers, October 13, 2002–January 5, 2003, no cat. no.

Publication History

“Exhibition of Forain Drawings,” Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago 17, 9 (1923), p. 108.

Daniel Catton Rich, “Forain,” Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago 25, 7 (1931), p. 97 (ill.).

Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in the Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection (Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1961), p. 162.

Ownership History

Durand-Ruel, Paris, by 1913 [Durand-Ruel stock book no. 3717]; sold to Martin A. Ryerson (died 1932), Chicago, for $1,200, November 29, 1913 [according to the receipt of sale from Durand-Ruel, copy in curatorial file]; bequeathed to the Art Institute, 1933.




View mobile website