About This Artwork

Andrea del Sarto
Italian, 1486-1530

Domenico da Gambassi, 1525/28

Oil on panel
8 7/8 x 6 1/4 in. (22.5 x 15.9 cm)
Inscribed with monogram in cartouche below roundel

Gift of Mrs. Murray S. Danforth, 1964.1097a

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Florence, Palazzo Vecchio, Palazzo Vecchio: Committenza e collezionismo medicei, 1980, nos. 360–61.

Publication History

S. J. Freedberg, “Andrea and Lucrezia: Two New Documents in Paint for Their Biography,” The Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies 1 (1966), pp. 15–27 (ill.).

Burton B. Fredericksen and Federico Zeri, Census of Pre-Nineteenth-Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections (Cambridge, Mass., 1972), pp. 8, 510, 515, 571.

Silvia Meloni Trkulja, Omaggio a Leopoldo de’Medici, pt. 2, Ritrattini, exh. cat., Florence Uffizi, 1976, p. 12.

Hugh Brigstocke, Italian and Spanish Paintings in the National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1978, p. 128, under no. 75, fig. 26.

Everett Fahy, The Legacy of Leonardo: Italian Renaissance Paintings from Leningrad, exh. cat., Washington D.C., National Gallery of Art, 1979, p. 57, figs. 37–38.

Giorgio Vasari, exh. cat., Arezzo, Casa Vasari, 1981, sec. VIII, p. 270, under no. 27.

Raffaele Monti, Andrea del Sarto, 2d ed., Milan, 1981, p. 8.

Alessandro Conti, “Andrea del Sarto e Becuccio bicchieraio,” Prospettiva 33–36 (1983–84), pp. 161–65 (ill.).

Andrea del Sarto, 1486–1530: Dipinti e disegni a Firenze, exh. cat., Florence, Palazzo Piti, 1986, pp. 18, 134, 149.

Serena Padovani, Andrea del Sarto, Florence, 1986, p. 59.

Antonio Natale and Alessandro Cecchi, Andrea del Sarto: Catalogo completo dei dipinti, Florence, 1989, pp. 112–113, no. 52, p. 123.

Christopher Lloyd, Italian Paintings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, 1993), pp. 215–219, ill.

Antonio Natali, Andrea del Sarto, Maestro della “maniera moderna,” Milan, 1998, pp. 171, 205, figs 167–168.

Roberto J. M. Olson, The Florentine Tondo, Oxford, 2000, pp. 127, 167, fig. 5.22.

David Franklin, Painting in Renaisance Florence 1500-1550, New Haven and London, 2001, p. 145.

Jutta-Annette Page, Beyond Venice: Glass in Venetian Style, 1500-1750 (Corning, New York, 2004), pp. 17, 308 n. 9.

Ownership History

Probably incorporated into the Gambassi altarpiece, Church of Santi Lorenzo e Onofrio, Benedictine Convent of the Romite, Gambassi (near Volterra), by 1525/28 to no later than 1637 [see Lloyd 1993]. Probably Medici Collection, Palazzo Pitti, Florence, by 1637 [see Conti 1983–84, pp. 162–63]. Possibly Leopold de’Medici (died 1675), Villa del Poggio Imperiale, Florence, by 1655 [Trkulja 1976, p. 12 suggested that they could be identified with entries in the inventories of 1655 and 1692: Due quadretti in tavola, alti s. 7 lari 1/4 dipintovj in tondo di mano d’Andrea del Sarto, in uno il Suo rit., e nell’altro il ritr. della Sua Moglie” (Two small pictures on panel, 7 soldi high by 1/4 [braccio] wide painted in roundels by Andrea del Sarto, in one His portrait, and in the other portrait of His Wife); the measurements (approx. 8 x 6 inches) correspond closely; that the portraits were, by the seventeenth century, thought to be del Sarto and his wife does not necessarily invalidate the argument for their inclusion in the Gambassi altarpiece]. New York art market, 1963; Mrs. Murray S. Danforth, Providence, Rhode Island, 1963–64 [according to Freedberg 1966, p. 35, n. 1]; given to Art Institute, 1964.




View mobile website