About This Artwork

Gerard van Opstal
Flemish, c. 1597–1668

The Triumph of Silenus, c. 1660

Marble
36.8 x 53.3 cm (14 1/2 x 21 in.)

Restricted gifts of Mrs. Eloise W. Martin and Mrs. Edward J. Uihlein through the Antiquarian Society, Mrs. DeWitt W. Buchanan, Jr., Mrs. Frederick K. Krehbiel; Major Aquisitions Centennial, Jane B. Tripp and Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Varley endowments; through prior acquisitions of the Kate S. Buckingham Endowment, 1997.89

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago, "Case for Wine," 11 July - 20 September, 2009 [no cat.].

Publication History

Ian Wardropper, “Collecting European Sculpture at the Art Institute of Chicago,” Apollo 154,475 (2001), pp. 5-6, 12, fig. 5.

Art Institute of Chicago, "Gifts Beyond Measure: The Antiquarian Society and European Decorative Arts, 1987–2002," Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies 28,2 (2002), p. 85, ill.

Ownership History

Daniel Katz, Limited, London, by 1997; sold to the Art Institute, 1997.




View mobile website