About This Artwork

Cristoforo Stati
Italian, c. 1556-1619

Samson and the Lion, 1604/07

Marble
210 x 112 x 84 cm (82 5/8 x 44 x 33 in.); 2,700 lb.
Base (octagonal): 118 x 118 cm (46 1/2 x 46 1/2 in.,). side: 49 x 49 cm (18 3/8 in.)

Chester D. Tripp Fund, 1997.335

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Publication History

Bertha Harris Wiles, The Fountains of Florentine Sculptors and their Followers from Donatello to Bernini (Harvard University Press, 1933), pp. 13-39, 64, 124–25.

Anthony Radcliffe, “Two Bronzes: from the Circle of Bernini,” Apollo 108, 202 (December 1978), pp. 422–23, fig. 8.

Andrea Bachi, Scultura del ‘600 a Roma (Milan: Longanesi, 1996), p. 845.

Edward L. Goldberg, “Artistic Relations between the Medici and the Spanish courts, 1587–1621: Part II,” Burlington Magazine 138, 1121 (August 1996), pp. 530–32.

David Eskerdjian, “Scultura del ‘600 a Roma: Andrea Bacchi with the collaboration of Susanna Zanuso,” Apollo (August 1998), p. 58.

Ian Wardropper, “Cristoforo Stati’s Samson and the Lion: Florentine style and Spanish patronage,” Apollo 150, 451 (September 1999), pp. 30–37.

Sarah Walker Schroth, “The Duke of Lerma’s Palace in Madrid: A Reconstruction of the original setting for Cristoforo Stati’s Samson and the Lion,” Apollo 144, 474 (August 2001), pp. 11–21.

Ian Wardropper, “Collecting European Sculpture at the Art Institute of Chicago,” Apollo 156, 475 (September 2001), pp. 3–4, 11–12, fig. 1.

Ownership History

Francesco Gomez de Sandoval y Rojas, Duke of Lerma, Madrid, possibly from 1607–1636 [according to Scroth, p. 11]. Swiss private collection, before 1996 [according to copy of original dealer solicitation in curatorial file]. Thomas Howard-Sneyd, London, by 1996; sold to the Art Institute, 1996; accessioned by the Art Institute, 1997.




View mobile website