About This Artwork

Spanish

Pendant of a Cross, 1550/1600

Gold, enamels, emeralds, and pearls
9.5 x 7.6 cm (3 3/4 x 3 in.)

Gift of Marilynn B. Alsdorf, 1992.506

This pendant cross is an elaborate assemblage of cast and fused segments ornamented with emeralds in tall, pyramidal mounts. Enameled gold and pin-fastened pearls add vigorous effects of color, texture, and light. The three-dimensional quality of this piece would have been particularly distinctive when worn upon the rich garments of the Renaissance.

— Permanent collection label

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

The Baltimore Museum of Art, Renaissance Jewels and Jeweled Objects from the Melvin Gutman Collection, 1962-68, cat. 4.

Chicago, The Martin D'Arcy Gallery of Art, The Art of Jewelry 1450-1650, Spring 1975, cat. 19.

Publication History

Anna Somers Cocks and Charles Truman, The Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection: Renaissance Jewels, Gold Boxes, and Objets de Vertu (London, 1984), p. 128, fig. 2.

Ian Wardropper et al, Renaissance Jewelry in the Alsdorf Collection, The Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies 25, 2 (2000), pp. 25, 36-37, and 92, no. 4.

Ownership History

Sale, Munich, Weinmüller, March 14-15, 1962, no. 487. Melvin Gutman, New York; his sale, New York, Parke-Bernet, October 17, 1969, no. 67; Marilynn B. Alsdorf, Chicago [according to Wardropper 2000, p. 4]; given to the Art Institute, 1992.




View mobile website