About This Artwork

European

Pendant with an Armed Centaur, 19th century

Gold, pearl, and enamel
9.2 x 3.2 cm (3 5/8 x 1 1/4 in.)

Gift of Marilynn B. Alsdorf, 1991.378

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Detroit Institute of Arts, Decorative Arts of the Italian Renaissance 1400-1600, November 18, 1958 - January 4, 1959, cat. 366.

The Baltimore Museum of Art, Renaissance Jewels and Jeweled Objects from the Melvin Gutman Collection, 1962-68, cat. 38.

London, Wartski Ltd., A Thousand Years of Enamel, May 18-June 5, 1971, cat. 38.

Chicago, The Martin D'Arcy Gallery of Art, The Art of Jewelry 1450-1650, Spring 1975, cat. 23.

Publication History

Hugh Tait, Catalogue of the Waddesdon Bequest in the British Museum, vol. 1: The Jewels (London, 1986). pp. 133-134, under no. 20.

Ian Wardropper et al, Renaissance Jewelry in the Alsdorf Collection, The Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies 25, 2 (2000), pp. 98, ill., 100, cat. 72.

Ownership History

Baron Max von Goldschmidt-Rothschild (1843-1940), Frankfurt [sold, New York, Parke-Bernet, April 13-14, 1950, no. 98]. Melvin Gutman, New York, by 1962; his sale, New York, Parke-Bernet, October 17, 1969, no. 84; Marilynn B. Alsdorf, Chicago [according to Wardropper 2000, p. 4]; given to the Art Institute, 1991.




View mobile website