- Shop Online
- Join and Give
About This Artwork
Oil on canvas
102.4 x 200.7 cm (41 5/16 x 79 in.)
Inscribed upper right: Jules. LeFebvre 1874.
George F. Harding Collection, 1983.381
European Painting and Sculpture
Not on Display
Memphis, Tennessee, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Scent and Symbolism: Perfumed Objects and Images, April 9-July 2, 2017.
Art Institute of Chicago, Annual Report 1983–84 (Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1984), p. 45.
Richard R. Brettell, French Salon Artists 1800–1900 (Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1987), pp. 99–100 (ill.), 119.
Hollis Clayson, Painted Love: Prostitution in French Art of the Impressionist Era (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1991), pp. 51–53, fig. 30; reprint (Los Angeles: Getty Research Institute, 2013).
Stephanie Holt, “Chloe: A Curious History,” (Ph.D diss, University of Melbourne, 1992), pp. 4–6.
Stephanie Holt, “Chloe: A Curious History,” in Jeanette Hoorn, ed., Strange Women: Essays in Art and Gender (Carlton, Victoria: Melbourn University Press, 1994), pp. 118–120, pl. 20.
Ruth Bernard Yeazell, Harems of the Mind: Passages of Western Art and Literature (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2000), p. 25, fig. 2.
Shalon Detrice Parker, “A Tradition Gone Awry: The Salon Nude in Fin-de-siècle France” (Ph.D diss, University of California, Berkeley, 2003), pp. 41–3, 228, fig. 17.
Shalon Detrice Parker, “‘With a Sincere Spirit and Deep Conviction”: Lefebvre’s Lady Godiva and Salon Artistic Culture in Fin-de-Siècle France,” Southeastern College Art Conference Review 15, 4 (2009), pp. 422–23, fig. 3.
Allison Lee Palmer, Historical Dictionary of Romantic Art and Architecture (Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2011), p. 143.
Vincent Astor, New York, by 1926; sold, sale of the Astor Residence, American Art Association, New York, April 21, 1926, lot 450, to George F. Harding, Jr. [buyer according to a Harding Museum record in the George F. Harding files, Art Institute, copy in curatorial file]; George F. Harding, Jr. (died 1929), Chicago; bequeathed to the George F. Harding Museum, Chicago; transferred to the Art Institute, 1983.